Share Your Monitoring Info With The Network
We want to hear about your program details.
Help us learn more by clicking through the links below.
If you haven’t already, carve out about 20 minutes to complete our Network’s survey and inventory of NJ community-based water monitoring groups. Questions include information about the type of work you are doing and what resources you would like to be made available to you by the Network and NJDEP. (Thanks to the 24 groups that have already participated!)
Your program’s fixed monitoring sites are an important part of the New Jersey water quality puzzle. Click below to download an Excel template to record your site information and email it to Network Coordinator, Erin Stretz, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have your own spreadsheet? Send that instead!
with Rahway River Watershed Association
Blended Virtual and Field Trainings
September 16 - September 20, 2020
Join us for an intensive multi-day Stream School workshop to prepare yourself for volunteer water quality monitoring work in New Jersey! After a virtual introduction to stream and watershed ecology, participants will go streamside to learn techniques for visual habitat assessments, physical monitoring, and benthic macroinvertebrate sampling. Benthic macroinvertebrates, or small organisms like insect larvae, crustaceans, and mollusks that live in streams, are used as biological indicators of stream health and we will get to know these critters very well! Participants will be trained in macroinvertebrate identification to the order and family taxonomic level.
- Wed, 9/16, 6:30-8:30pm: Intro to NJ Monitoring Program and Intro to Visual/Habitat High Gradient Assessments (Virtual)
- Thu, 9/17, 6:30-8:30pm: Intro to Biological Assessments and Macroinvertebrate Identification (Virtual)
- Fri, 9/18, 6:30-7:30pm: Intro to Field Experience and Prep for In-Person Stream Day (Virtual)
- Sun, 9/20, 9:30am-4:30pm: Stream Assessment Training in the Field (South Mountain Reservation, Essex County, NJ)
Participants now have the option to join this workshop in two ways:
- Full Stream School workshop, including all three webinars plus a full-day stream assessment training at the South Mountain Reservation on Sun, 9/20, OR
- Virtual-Only programming on Wed, 9/16 and Thu, 9/17.